Monday, September 3, 2018

Blessed with just a little more rain

We've had a dry summer. Now that the wheat crop is in and the corn is turning, we are finally getting rain. I've had a container sitting on my picnic table for several weeks. Friday it was about half full. This morning it was over flowing. The west side of Manhattan got it pretty hard, 8.9 inches. A number of businesses are under water as are several apartment buildings, at least their first floors. Several highways are shut down including the main drag around town, Ft Riley Blvd.
I got a call from a friend this morning. One of his rentals took water, about six inches over the floor. He needed me to do the safety inspection so the tenants could get back in. back in 2011 this area flooded. My friend's house had some serious damage, the foundation partially collapsed. He had the house jacked and they completely relaid the foundation. When they did, they eliminated the stairs and installed flood gates where once had been windows.
The house next door had suffered similar damage. They rebuilt to the original standard. The foundation collapsed AGAIN.
The house on the other side didn't risk it. When they rebuilt after 2011, they raised the entire thing eight feet. After they had poured, I told them they screwed up. They should have made it a mega garage. Instead, it is just a giant pool. The sewer lines backed up, and water is inside. Don't know how much, but water was coming out of a hole about a foot off the ground when I was there today.
I don't remember this area flooding back in either 1993 or 1995. There has been a lot of building down stream from these older homes in the last twenty years, and that may be the problem. IN any case, I am high and dry. If the floods get to me, Manhattan is S!C!R!E!W!E!D!!!

No comments: