Saturday, January 23, 2010

Upping the Ante


I recently traded off two of my AR-15s. I know some of you say who can ever have too many? But the truth is you can only shoot one at a time, and while they are light, ammo is lighter. One of them was a DPMS sportical. One feature I liked was the flat top A-3 configuration, pefect for a scope. It did not have a dust cover, forward assist, or forward sling swivel. It was actually a cheap gun. Nice for a starter, but not something for a serious collection.
The second was a A-2 configured rifle with full stock and 20" barrel. A nice over all gun, but it was nearly identical to another, and since its twin was my first, first place won out.

Their replacement is an L-243. This rifle is manufactured by DPMS, and is a very nice rifle. mechanically identical to a Remington R-25, this fine piece of machinery lacks the messy oak paint skeme. The R-25 is offered in .243 Winchester, 7mm-08, and 308 aka 7.62x51. DPMS differentiates bt calling them L-243, L-308 etc.
For tonight, it is topped with my old Tasco 3x9. Eventually it will get a serioius upgrade to something with illuminated reticle, and interplanetary optics and magnification.

I had several choices between Remingtons in 308 and 243, and this one. Cost was a bit of a consideration, but I'm not that hot on the Mossy Oak camo. To me its a waste of money. if I need camo, I will make my own with burlap etc. It will get seriously gillified when needed.
I opted for 243 over 308 for several reasons. Cost of ammo and availability were not two of them. 243 is harder to get, and more expensive. What it offers though is a faster round with less drop. The 100 grain Remington rounds hold velocity very well, bullet drop is thirteen inches less at 500 yards then comparable 308 rounds.

DPMS and Remington together with Bushmaster are now owned by the same corporation. Thus these fine arms share commonality. The R-25 series was designed as part of the Army's sniper rifle competition eventually won by Knights. These rifles are the latest development of Eugene Stoners original AR-10. The Military wanted a new sniper rifle to replace the M-21s M-24s and others, and this bad boy was runner up. it is a great step forward, and is intended to have greater range then the M24s do.
This fellow is not a hundred yard plinker. It is intended for dropping Antelope at 500 or more yards, or Taliban wannabe's where ever they may roam.

No comments: