Saturday, December 30, 2017

Yondering

Shooting with the kids is a rite of passage for many of us.When my boys were about ten and eleven, going shooting was a regular event.
A friend of mine, Brian, asked about going along. He wanted to get his rifle sited in before deer season. He had a 7mm magnum as I recall. He was a student, so money was tight, and supplementing ramen noodles with venison was on his list of thing to get done.
Well, the next time I had my boys, it was off to my acreage for some shooting. I'd just gotten my M1A, and this would be our second time out with it. Brian was itching at a chance to try out a few of my toys as well as the M1A.
On the way out, Brian opened the box of ammo for his gas pipe, selected a round, turned and handed it to my older son saying, "This is for you if you are brave." After a moment's pause, he pulled out another round, and offered it saying, "And this is for you if stupid.
After we got there and set up, Brian tried out several of my weapons. Finally, he decided it was time to get business taken care of and reached for his box of magnums. It was empty!
Brian bellowed loudly, "Who the F--- shot all my ammo?
My son popped up, "I did!"
Brian, "I never said you could shoot them all."
Son, "You never said I couldn't. Have you got any more?"
Brian grabbed my son's jacked and pulled it off his shoulder. The kid was black and blue from his collar bone to his elbow.
Several month later we went to Minnesota for Thanks Giving. We took shotguns a thrower, and several hundred rounds of shells. About mid morning we went out in my brother's field and began tossing clays. The box of blue rocks went pretty fast, and after warming up for a few minutes, we decided to get more ammo and clays. When I got back from Wallyworld, my son was sitting in just a tee shirt. He was, again, black and blue from elbow to collar bone.
He still shot more rounds after lunch than the rest of us combined. I have never seen him flinch. Miss? yes, he misses, but he is unafraid of guns.

No comments: