Saturday, January 19, 2019

CPL Paul

When I was an MP on Ft Riley, one of my soldiers was a corporal named Paul. One night he pulled over the Division Commander's wife for speeding. She also was not wearing her seat belt.
When he called back in service, the desk queried, "One verbal warning?"
"Negative, two 1805's (tickets) issued."
The next morning he and I were in front of the Provost Marshall's desk. The PM was demanding that he void the tickets.
My friend refused, telling the Colonel that if he wished them voided it was his choice, and he could do it.
We were interrupted by the Provost CSM and told we were to report to the Generals office IMMEDIATELY.
Too late, you are toast!
We get to the generals office and report.
The general comes from behind his desk waving the tickets. "Soldier, did you issue these to my wife last night?"
"Yes Sir."
"And how fast was she driving?"
"Sir, she was driving 42 MPH in a posted 25 zone according to my radar."
"And she was not wearing her seat belt?"
"No sir."
"Soldier, she will be enrolling in the base defensive driving course, and her on post privileges are suspended for the next 30 days. I have warned her repeatedly to slow down and buckle up. Perhaps now she will listen."
"Thank you, you are dismissed."
We'd nicknamed our PM jellyfish since he had no spine. He was mad.
Several months later, Paul, who was the unit scrounge, became the target of the PM because the informal supply chain was highly frowned upon. I'd been the unit scrounge in Germany, and it nearly got me into Leavenworth as a long term guest.
Anyway, Paul was making deals and getting stuff, the CO had taken notice, and was building a case to fry him. I was about to ETS and patrolling a desk.
One morning, in walks the Post Command Sergeant Major. "I'm looking for CPL Paul and Need to see him immediately.
CPL Paul was summoned and within minutes he strode in, "Hi Sergeant Major, what can I help you with?"
"Paul," he replied, I've got those tires you needed, can you get enough paint for a Duece for me by Friday?"
The CO was standing in his office door listening. he turned to his file cabinet, extracted a thick folder, and began ripping all the papers in it to shreds.

No comments: