Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Vietnam Tankers

Vietnam was largely an infantry war. Tanks were regarded by the military elite as being unsuited for the jungles and were not deployed in large numbers.

When I first went active, I was assigned to an armor unit. My MOS was radio repair, so I could be in almost any unit that had tactical FM equipment. The unit had an imprompteu library of books on tanks and armored combat. Since I liked to read, I made regular use of the many books especially when I had to sit CQ. I pulled a lot of quarters duty. Guys would pay $50 to get out of their weekend assignment. Some times I would do Friday night, be relieved Saturday morning, get some shut eye, then back out to the desk for Saturday night and another $50.
There were a number of books on tanks in Vietnam written by the men who had been there.
We messed up big time in not taking advantage of our armor.
Kenny at Knuckledraggin posted a video today. After watching it, I followed up with a few others from the Vietnam Tankers. These are only oral traditions, no combat footage, no simulations, just straight out remembrances from the guys who were there. As the years are passing, these men are thinning out. How many of them will be left after twenty more?
To the men who were there, thank you from a kid who followed later on.

No comments: