Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Supply and demand

Conditions in Texas are ripe for plunder. Hotels are charging out the whazoo for rooms and bottled water is like gold. Imgine how things will be after a major disaster. Lets turn back the clock for just a minute to 9-11-01.
My version. I worked weekends at the time, two twelve hour shifts and one eight during the week. That week they scheduled me for Tuesday, and the horrific events happened while I was at work.
Backing up just a minute to Monday, I drove a big truck at the time with dual tanks. It took time to fill it, you had to baby the nozzle since the fill tube laid nearly flat. I filled it Monday night. Work was a short six miles, so maybe one gallon down when the planes hit. By the time I got off work, most of the stations in town were bone dry. prices had sky rocketed, and people were in panic mode. the flow of fuel was uninterrupted, no refineries were in danger, nor were any of the many tankers hauling fuel to America.
There was a station on the corner by my apartment, as I noted, six miles out of town. the line to the pumps stretched over a mile. When I passed the line and turned, there were people immediately honking shouting and shaking their fists. I had to wait to get across that line to go to my apartment, and the first guy insisted on cutting me off thinking I was trying to cut him!
After I got home, several neighbors came over and offered to take my truck and fill it for me. Had to explain that I was good.
It's time for a reality check. Think about what you have, and what you need to survive week to week. An event like a hurricane or tornado is over in a matter of hours, but clean up can take weeks. What happens if a terrorist manages to set off a nuke in a major urban area? How long will it take the supply system to reset? What about if North Korea does something and China backs the baby faced fat boy? What then?
Just another lesson we keep relearning the hard way.

No comments: