Saturday, March 16, 2013

Range time in the living room

WHAT?
No, I'm serious. Today might be a good day in your neck of the woods, but if its not, or when its not, here is something you can do at home in your living room to hone your self defense skills.
When I was in the military, we carried our Remingtons in flap holsters. Getting them out was a trick, so we practiced it. Not once or twice, but many times a day. For those of you who are attempting to gauge my age, and baffled because the last Remington you know of was the 1858 New Model Army, Relax. Most of the 1911's I ever saw were made by Remington Rand and Co. I got out just before the introduction of the WOP. No, its not an ethnic slam because of the Italian design, it stands for Wound Only (or Often) Pistol. A slam to the stopping power of the 9mm vs the .45
Shooting some one with a pistol doesn't happen every day. Sure, you go to the range and splatter plenty of targets, but the truth is that when the shit hits the fan, and the adrenaline hits the body, every aspect of marksmanship will fail you. That's why practice is important. 20 in the x ring won't save you if you fumble and drop your pistol as you pull it from your coat.
Since I'm stealing this from Robert Farago, I'll let him give you all the details.
Yes, I said for a stormy Saturday, but truthfully, I hope you train every day. Your life may someday depend on it.
A friend of mine was a little guy when he was in Jr. high. He wasn't going to be a football player, so he chose karate for his physical training regimen. When he got to high school, the first day he entered the lunch hall, all the tables were packed except one off to the side which was entirely empty. Not realizing that it was for the football players who did a mid day work out, he took his meal tray and sat down. Just in to his meal, the football jocks entered the hall, and one of them marched over and grabbed my friend by the neck and picked him right out of his seat. Training kicked in, my friend broke the hold, then did a spinning jump kick that went about a foot over this lineman's head. My friend landed, and stood there thinking, "oh shit they never told me what to do if I missed, and the lineman stood there thinking I'm gonna loose teeth if I twitch.
Train my friends, train.

No comments: