Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans Day

Take a few minutes today to reflect on all the sacrifices made by those who have served. Many good men died, many were maimed. The emotional scars can be as deep and damaging as the physical ones, and many families have suffered from the demons of war brought home by a loving father brother, son, wife mother or daughter.
To steal from my favorite Military singer Barry Sadler,

I’m going home my tour is done
I’m going home I’m a lucky one.
But I’ve left friends behind me
Who won’t go home no more
Yes many friends remain forever
On that bloody shore.

And at night when I sleep
I know my dreams will be
About the friends I’ve left
Across the sea
I’ll hear a young man cry
Or laugh again not loud
We’ll all be together
In a happy crowd.

And then I’ll hear the sound
Of bullets whinning over head
Feel the crash of mortars
And all my friends are dead
My friends they fought and gave their all
My friends they died for freedoms call

As my dream is ending
They’ll come and say goodbye
Though I’m sound asleep,
A tear I’ll cry
And they say something which fills
My heart with pain
Tell them about us soldier
Don’t let us die in vain.

I’m going home
My tour is done
I’m going home
I’m a lucky one.

No comments: