Thursday, April 24, 2014

Learning to hate winders all over again

The old PC crashed. It was time. The thing was over seven years old. That's like a hundred in redneck years.
I got that system when its predecessor caught a virus. At that time I was switching from XP to Vista. I liked Vista so much I spent several bills fixing the old computer. I managed to squeeze two more years out of it. By then, some of Vista's bugs were ironed out.
Yup, I did not like Vista much.
My old system took a dump though. After fighting with it for two days and multiple crashes, I decided it was time for it to go to PC hell.
The new system is Windows Hate. err I mean Windows8. So far, the reviews I had read are kind. I cannot understand why they want super high screen resolution. Frankly, 1024x768 is too small for my liking. I do not want eye strain, nor do I want a monitor that requires me to take eight steps to read a ten word sentence.
The more I use it, the more I dislike it. It is not what I would want in a work system.
Hate is designed for touch screen systems. If you don't have one, the thing is a pain. It was intended for noids and their droids. No, I'm not impressed with smart phones. Most of the people who have them are compensating because they aint. If you can't live with out texting your friends ever three minutes, you have a problem. Same for twits and twitter, its text messing on a party line, something that AT&T got rid of when I was a child. Seriously, I see and deal with people who text and text adnausium, when they could do the entire thing in a two minute conversation, minus all the "like"s and "err"s ala Oblowme.
This version was made with them in mind.
I will learn to like it I suppose, or hate it with a passion.

2 comments:

Pops said...

Go to the 'Store' and do the free upgrade to 8.1 ~ 3 gig download. BUT it will let you boot to the Desktop... just put your shortcuts there and never use the Metro again.

> Pops

JeremyR said...

I've got 8.1 Eventually I will get used to it, or go hit a pawn shops rubble pile.