Saturday, December 23, 2017

Old Jake

At the time I was born, my family had an old collie named Jake. I have a couple of memories of Jake. I remember him sitting one time, and I tried to climb on his back. Got bit for my effort. In my face.
The second memory I have was when the rabid coons showed up. Jake was the dog who got between those coons and my sister who was carrying me to the house. Both those memories are locked solid for me. The scar from his bite is still visible on my forehead.
My eldest brother swears I should not remember Jake though. Jake died when I was small. Christmas time had rolled around. The eldest siblings were grown and had moved, but in the tradition exemplified in the Waltons, came home for Christmas. Jake had been Phil's dog, and as with all animals, they had  special bond.
Well, My sisters had both made it home Christmas eve, but Phil was a bit slower. Don't remember details, could have been work, weather, or wandering, but Jake was wandering the yard, going from vehicle to vehicle, sniffing pawing, searching for his beloved boy master but not finding him. I faintly remember him wandering the yard when we got home that evening. Phil got home a bit later. I was asleep by then. when he got there though, he immediately went looking for Jake. When He found him the Dog had died.
Jake was old. The folks had gotten him when Phil was little and they had grown up together. Pets are loyal, most pets anyway. You or I might go through ten pets in a life time, but most pets go through only one owner. I hate seeing people treat animals like throw away toys. Get tired of Fido? Just take him to the pound. People get on me about my pets some times. Sorry folks, unless an animal is dangerously unruly, I won't part with them for convenience. I guess that is something I learned from my father. He had dairy cows. Most dairy operations have a cow for only a few years, then as soon as their production drops a little, it's off to the slaughter house, and they become kibbles. Dad never did that. Several of the cows he had when he retired were older than me. It broke his heart to send then to the stock yard, but his health had failed, and he could no longer milk.
Jake is something I think about every Christmas. faint memories yes, but he reminds me to not be materialistic. Keep and value what you have whether it be your pets of your possessions. Remember in this season, that the baby in the manger came here because our creator, GOD, doesn't want to throw you away either.
May he bless you, and have  a Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Gregory said...

Amen

Gorges Smythe said...

Sad for Jake. I bet Phil wished He'd gotten there a little sooner.