Friday, November 16, 2018

A paradigm shift in America

I've noted in the past that I am originally from Minnesota. I came to Kansas courtesy of the United States Army. Like many soldiers, when I got out I stuck around. When I started blogging, I was already known as something of a redneck. My first wife used to joke that Jeff Foxworthy stalked my family for material. Minnesota redneck lacked something though, so I chose Kansas Redneck instead.
As I mentioned, Many folks here are from places other than Kansas. I made a lot of friends who are from parts yonder. One good friend was from ArKansas, and he always took the hillbilly ribbing with a bit of humor.
Some years back I gave him a joke book of ArKansas and hillbilly jokes. They were the typical fare, and I've used many of them as redneck jokes. I had lunch with him today and he returned the book, gift wrapped.
When I opened it, I immediately noticed that he'd edited it. ArKansas was crossed out and replaced with Minnesota, and Hillbilly had been replaced with Loon.
His comment was " In Arkansas we may marry a cousin, but we've never sent to Washington some one who was married to their brother.

No comments: