Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Third times the charm

A naval officer has been convicted of defrauding the 9-11 fund. Charges are that he falsified the severity of his injuries to reap over $330,000 in bennies.
I'm not entirely sold. If the guy is indeed a fraud, his sentence should include keel hauling on the Stennis or the Oriskanny. I know too many military folk. Hey! I was one. We are the kind of people who soldier on through pain. Quitters are not accepted at the Naval Academy, West Point, or Colorado Springs. The military teaches us to drive on. If it hurts, grit your teeth and soldier on. The Revolution was not won by pansies. The (un)Civil War was horrific because neither side had quitters. Quitters didn't get on the boats, they stayed in France and looked with longing at the vast Atlantic.
Two juries didn't see the proof, As yet, I don't either. Thats not to say he isn't guilty. Turning in a dues check as proof of hiring some one to take care of house work? Thats bad! I can buy off on that one. If he was hurt on 9-11 as he claimed, and btw, a seperate investigation determined he was , I have a problem with going after him based on that he continued to do what he loved.
My knees are fucked up from years of running PT. I still love to walk even though I will hurt after. I aint gonna give up hunting because of my knees until I cannot walk at all.

No comments: