Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Reminds me of some one

Michael Rotondo got evicted... from his parent's home. The thirty year old has been living with mom and dad for the past eight years, and doesn't have a job, a working vehicle, or ambition.
Several years ago, a friend of my son got out of the Navy. He moved back in with mom and dad of course. Pretty soon, this guy was a regular at my son's house, and when my son accepted a job in North Dakota, moved up there with him.
My son spent a year there. He finally had to sit his friend down, and filled out the job applications for him. When my son and his family moved back to Kansas, they went to Wichita and lived with my ex.  The friend moved back in with his parents.
Needing help with my rentals, I stopped by several times and offered him a job. He always had an excuse to not take me up on the offers.
We have now passed the four year mark. My son is in his forth job, and buying a house. He only lived with his mom a few months before getting an apartment. His friend is still living with mom and dad.
In his defense, he is only 29, so he has a year to go..... Probably a couple decades.
Sad and a waste. His parents moved out of Manhattan and now reside a half hour out in the boonies. This kid has no driver's license, and if he ever gets one, I'll be shocked.
To make matters worse, I also know a guy who is fifty and lives with his mom. He has never moved out nor held a job.

1 comment:

Linda Fox said...

Some people are like that - they can function, sort of, when someone handles all of the thinking for them. They seem to lack initiative, or, maybe, it's the disconnect between their aspirations, and where they are that's the problem. They can envision themselves being successful, but - the work that has to be done between where they are and where they want to be is a gap that they just can't cross.
Their families enable it with handouts (and, to be fair, it sounds like your son did, too). I'd recommend that book, Scratch Beginnings. It might give him a vision of how he could do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Beginnings-Search-American-Dream-ebook/dp/B001H1FZWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529769222&sr=8-1&keywords=scratch+beginnings+by+adam+shepard