Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Time to change lottery rules

Does it seem strange to you that a person who wins the lottery continues to collect food stamps? Denny has long referred to the lottery as a tax on the poor. I agree with him big time. This bitch is just another example of the poor who win. A million bucks and she still collects food stamps? Some thing wrong here, big time.
Now I don't want to discourage the poor from paying their fair share, so I don't want to be too drastic, but part of the game should be that if you win you lose assistance for a period of time. I'd suggest forever even if you lose, but that's just me, I hate the lottery. Lets try this for size, If a person wins less then $500 no change for them in the system. For dollar amounts between 500 and 1000 they lose benefits for a month, and an additional month for every thousand of winnings. I'd put a forever cap some where in there, but my gut feeling is that most people who win have it blown in short order. I would guess they chew it up at a rate of ten grand a month or better, and the big winners even faster. Seems I recall one guy who won a million who was dead broke in under two years. Memory could be wrong though.

No comments: