Monday, May 7, 2012

One heck of a twister

I've been around a lot of storm damage. I have worked clean up in Chapman, Joplin, and a few other cities. The worst storm damage I ever saw though was Greensburg. Looking back, I probably blamed it on the open area. Joplin and Chapman both had considerable shielding from trees and terrain. I guess I am wrong though.
Meteorologist Mike Umscheid confirmed that Greensburg was a storm with few peers. The winds were 200 mph or greater, something not often seen.
Joplin was bad. The loss of life should never be discounted. We can be grateful though that the storm that hit Joplin was not on a scale with the Greensburg tornado. Had it been, I shudder to think how many more lives might have been lost.
Tornados are a way of life in Kansas and most of hte great plains. Balmy Minnesota is king of twisters, even if Oklahoma and Texas seem to make the news more often. I don't buy into the global warming hysteria. I don't think they are getting worse. I know that years ago there were killer storms, and without the technology we have today, it would be impossible to compare them.
Savage over at blogmocracy had a post up on Saturday about Greensburg. his pictures will give a person pause. Eleven people died. It could have been much worse. Without Mr Umsheid's warning, more might have perished. This year could be a year to remember. Lets hope not.

No comments: