Tuesday, May 8, 2012

WHY?

I mentioned in my last gun screed that I am a Ruger fan. Here is another from my collection, a 45-22. The 45-22 is Rugers latest version of their tried and true Standard. While functionally the same as a Mark III, it has a grip more in line with a Colt 1911 instead of the traditional Luger rake. To be honest though, I bought this gun more for the sight then for the gun, and next time you see it, it will be adorning an AR or some similar weapon, possibly my Camp 9.

This pistol is intended for target shooting though, so a good reflex sight is fitting. When I got it, it was sighted in about a foot off at five yards. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't shoot it much.

ATN offers three versions of their reflex sight, the Ultra Sight, the Digital Ultra Sight, and the Compact Digital. All offer multiple reticle patterns. This one offers four, a dot, a circle and dot, a cross hair, and an open crosshair with dot. take your pick, find the one that suites you. Each has a diffrent MOA for compensation, the circle and dot is 60 MOA, and the cross hair and cross hair with dot are both 50 MOA. The cross hair with dot offers an additional 25 MOA on the smaller ring, useful when calculating distance to target in an unknown enviroment.

The one feature I do not like on the 45-22 is the hook on the front of the magazine. I prefer a cleaner mag like the ones for The Standard and MKIII. Nothing to hang up in a coat or trouser pocket when hunting or during range play.
All in all, a good gun to shoot, light weight, accurate, and a nice feel. So, why put an ATN reflex sight on a plinker? Why not?

1 comment:

CharlieDelta said...

Why not indeed? I also have a 45-22. Actually all of the groomsmen in my brother's wedding got one as a "thanks" from the bride and groom. By far the coolest groomsmen gift I've ever heard of! Actually, there was one guy who's wife had the balls in the family and she said no, so that poor bastard got a hammer. No shit. A $200.00+/- hammer! But I digress.

I love the 45-22. Especially now that ammo is the highest I can remember ever seeing it. Like you said, the gun is comfortable, lightweight and accurate. Another thing I have to say about them is they are durable. The most hassle of all of my firearms to clean, but durable.

My brother has never cleaned his once (on purpose, just to see how long and how many rounds downrange later before it stops working.) Not once field stripped, scrubbed or so much as a patch down the barrel since he bought the wedding 6-pack of them in June'04. All he has done to it is douche it with WD-40 before and after use, and thousands of rounds have been cycled through it. I have no idea how many thousands, but if I had to guess I would say minimum 7,000. That's approx. what I have through mine and he takes his on every camping trip.
Funny thing about it is that I have cleaned mine semi-regularly after a weekend of use and I have had some ejection issues.

For the price, the 45-22 cannot be beat. It's a great little plinker, squirrel exterminator, a son's or daughter's or girlfriend's and/or wife's first rimfire hand gun, or just another addition to the collection.

On a scale of 1-10 dead liberals, (1 being the worst-case scenario and 10 being the best) I would have to give it a 10! No question about it.