Thursday, September 10, 2009

Elmo sez Go ahead Punk, make my Day


Tonight's howitzer for the hand is the famous Smith & Wesson model 29. Dirty Harry Callihan was a hero to me when I was a kid. Something about the image of a man with a gun big enough to blow your head clean off hooked me. Over the years a wide range of guns have surpassed the 44 magnum in power and size, yet this weapon remains an icon, an image of rebellion against the system when the system is broke, corrupt, or just doesn't work.



I first fired a 29 while in the service. One of the guys in our barracks was well regarded as an expert on weapons. he had to keep his private arsenal locked in the arms room. It consisted of a 29, a Highway patrolman, a Walther PPK and a shotgun of some sort. Well, one fine spring day, we had some down time and decided it was right and proper to go ventilate a few beer cans out along range road. My friends .44 had a 4 inch pipe IIRC, and that equated to a lot of felt recoil. He had been to Pat's pawn and Gun, the famous store on the eastern edge of Ft. Riley KS for his ammo, and Pat Livingston sold him the hottest stuff he had. maybe not such a good move. by the time we had emptied the first box, my friend was flinching pretty bad. When I wrapped my fist around the grips, I was hooked though, and started my search for my Dirty Harry Special. I found it several months later, an 8 3/8 barrel with classic shoulder holster.


Now as for Elmo, there is a reason he is armed. My grandkid seems to think it A-OK to just up and poke poor Elmo right in his guts. This has the poor fellar convulsing on the floor, sometimes for several minutes.


Seriously though, I'd like to create an off shoot of Elmo called tickle me Mr. T. remember him from A team? The big black fellow with the strange haircut and an attitude that would scare the KKK into brown soiled sheets. Yes, him! incorporate his attitude, hair style and lyrics into the doll. When you touch him he begins his moves but accompanied to a line along this: " What the heck you doin pokin me in the stomach? You want me to show you the other end of that finger? I'll stick it some place the sun aint never gonna shine. Hiya hiya. Try that again sucka, I dare ya I dare ya, I double dawg Dare ya Punk!


That would sure beat figgle giggle fall down giggle again again again.

1 comment:

Topeka Troll said...

Well, who else is gonna teach him to chaw tabacky? His mom sure won't.