Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Another wheel gun

I own a number of revolvers. I know a lot of people consider them a relic of the past, but for me, they have their place. The biggest advantage of an automatic, in fact, the only one, is capacity. Six vs fifteen is a no brainer, so if you are taking on a horde of angry looters, grab the Glock, Sig, or Beretta. Otherwise, a wheel gun will serve your needs just fine.

This grinning monster is a S&W model 66-1 chambered in the capable .357 caliber. It is the only revolver I have with a left hand holster. I'm ambidextrious, left handed by birth, struggling in a right hand world. Honestly, I have always shot right handed. 90% of guns are designed for right handers. The few exceptions are the popular ambi autos, and top break revolvers such as the H&R 999 Sportsman. I have no dominant eye, and with a rifle, I have an advantage in that my strong hand is controling my aim.


Back when the Colt 1911 burst on the scene, it offered only a single round advantage, but the shooter didn't need to eject the empties, only an empty mag. Other autos soon increased capacity, and a few were even offered with 100 round drums. Not bad when the demon hoards of starving lazy democrats come to plunder your life savings.


So, why do I like revolvers? For most folks, a hand gun is their late night defense. Too many of them never take the gun out and clean it, let alone to the range. Month and months of no activity and a full load of cartridges can weaken the spring in that Glock. I have seen two mag failures. One held back three, the other was five or more. I've also seen dented mags that would not function. Saw a big Lt when I was in the service, who after diving for cover during our march to the range, had three mags that suffered for it. Yup, the big guy bent em. Keep that in mind if you leave mags in your vehicle. They are another part that can fail at the most inappropriate time.


The last thing I wanted to point out is another revolver from my collection. This is a close up of a Colt trooper MkV. Note the cylinder release. On a Smith, you push forward with your thumb. With the Colt, you pull back. I know it seems trivial, but late at night, when the chips are down, and you went through your first six, that little distinction may cost you your life. practice with what you carry, carry what you are familiar with. Neither is a bad gun, either will stop the bad guy in his tracks. familiarity is a good thing, it does not always breed contempt.
Spring has arrived, and we are doing range night every Wednesday right before Sons of Guns. Last week we burned through about 250 rounds of ammo. Should be a great time.

1 comment:

Gregory said...

Good words. I am trying to build a revolver that someone took completely apart....what a job.