Saturday, April 28, 2012

Busy busy

While I would like to post several articles each day, it is rare for me to make that happen. That is why I admired Don. He had a tough schedule, but always had things for people to read. What I aspire to be, and what I am are two diffrent things though. When I am tired, its hard to get motivated to write something. I have seen several articles this past week that tripped my trigger, but I didn't manage to put a pixel on the screen.
I live in rural Kansas, and we have two realities here, tornados, and praire fires. I purchased the land where my house sits over fifteen years ago. It is a nice rolling property with woods, open pasture, a nice valley, and a hill top with a tremendous view. That is where my first wife wanted to build the house. I wasn't too enthused, but when wife number two picked the same spot, I agreed. Well, while we were building, we had a twister pass through. It leveled my neighbors garage and removed wuite a few shingles from his roof. When I drove up to mine, it seemed every shingle on the west side was standing straight up. We had to redo it. I am reminded of the horror movies where a couple moves into an old house. as they wander about, a voice utters "Get out"! They stay, and mayhem follows.
Suprise suprise. I have replaced the shingles three times. The last time, I opted for a steel roof. its holding.....So far.
Siding is another matter. The Chapman tornado also hit Manhattan. it passed just south of my place. I lost the siding from the west side to that cool breeze. About sixteen months ago we had a grass fire, It was caused by a cigarette thrown into dry grass. The bottom three feet of siding on my south and east sides caught it. Melted and runny. Vinal and country living do not mix. My yard has no large trees. makes for a great view, but a bit windy.
Now that my divorce is final, I am residing the house. This time its with cement board. Thats why I'm so dogone tired and not much to say here. We are striping whats left of the vinal and getting it done.
Maybe I'll put up pictures later, we'll have to see.





2 comments:

Gregory said...

Good luck in your efforts. Damn, I think that if I lived where you do, I would build my whole house out of concrete starting with the basement about 10 feet down in the earth. And use bullet proof glass in the windows(if I could afford it). Worrying about tornadoes would get so tiresome to me so I'll include you in my daily prayer.

JeremyR said...

Thanks Greg. I don't sweat about tornados. I have been through several. I didn't install a basement because when I started, I was planning on it being a rental. My pick for a location to build had trees and better protection.
We planted quite a few trees when we moved in. Almost all of them died. My ex tended them quite attentatively. She could kill weeds by trying to make them grow.
She planted some rose a sharon, then transplanted them. Instead of rose a sharons, she moved weeds. Worst is, she mowed the area and killed the rose a sharons.
The only thing doing well that we planted are the roses. they were almost dead when she moved out, but five of them are blooming now.