Friday, August 12, 2016

Oh My My

The Schlitterbahn Water Park in Kansas City had a fatality earlier this week. A ten year old boy was riding the Verrückt when he suffered a broken neck.
Every death is a tragedy for the family. It is especially hard when it is a child.
Lets look at this seriously though, lets consider what is the safest automobile in America? For th sake of brevity, I'll just pick one from the various lists, a Toyota Camry. How many people are still killed in the Camry? contrast that to the number of deaths in amusement park rides. One survey claimed 45,000 injuries every year, but the lists I found show less than one death per year. Quite a contrast, and most folks aren't trying to get an adrenaline rush in a Camry.
From indications on the news, the restraints on the Verrückt were fuckt. Maybe they will do a better job of maintaining them especially toward the end of the season.
All in all, the fact that thousands ride these attractions every day with minimal problems is a tribute to the guys who designed them. I'm an adrenaline junkie. I kinda like these rides.

No comments: