Monday, August 2, 2010

Rabies

Rabies is one scary disease. I remember as a child an encounter with rabid animals. I was only two, but it is as strong today as it was firty years ago. I was not harmed, only frightened. I was playing in a sand box with another kid when my sister came running up, scooped us both up under her arms and began running. I had a grand view of our family mutt running backwards snarling at a racoon that was covered in froth. How our dog survived I do not know. I don't think the folks got rabies shots for hte farm animals, I could be wrong.
Indonesia has an outbreak of rabies. 78 deaths on Bali in the last two years that were reported, unknown how many more did not get reported, and as many as 55,000 people die every year world wide from this epidemic.
It is a striking contrast, Here in hte USA rabies deaths are all but unheard of. Our medical establishment has created state of hte art vacines for post exposure care, and we are working on better still.
Treatment is expensive, that is the problem in Bali. The average family cannot afford treatment when a child is exposed. Are we heading that direction? Will Obamacare put our children at high risk? I think the answer is yes. Parents who take kids in will be told, oh, there is no rabies in this area, only to learn after symptoms appear that they were lied to.
Watch out! Third world medicine coming soon to a hospital near you!

No comments: