Friday, February 17, 2012

scary murder rate

While reading about the prison fire in Honduras, I was struck by mention that Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world. My first thought was, how can they beat Mexico?
Well, I did a little research, and the numbers I found were United States, 4.8 murders per 100,000 population. Mexico has 18, and Honduras has a whopping 86. New Orleans, the murder capital of the nation has only 49.1 murders per 100k.
I have to wonder, does the Mexico murder rate reflect all the drug gang violence in Northern Mexico? It would seem to me that as bad as it has been reported, that their rate would be a lot higher. I could be wrong.
Honduras has a lot of problems, They are a bottle neck for drugs flooding from South America into the United States. It is a poor country, not much industry. Any wonder they are flocking north. That flood will bring the violence with them. We need our border fence. Mexico is getting worse, everything south sucks too, El Salvador 71, Belize 42, Guatemala 39, Colombia 33, Panama 20.
While they are at it, add a mine field on the border as well.

1 comment:

Gregory said...

Kind of makes me wonder about spanish speaking peoples. Is there something in their genes that makes them prone to murder? Something in the air? Climate? Or just plain drugs? I like the idea about the mine field.