Thursday, March 21, 2013

What is wrong with these people?

A low information voter in Massiveclueless has decided that Honors shall no longer be awarded for students who excel. David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School does not want to hurt the feeeeelings of students who tried but couldn't cut the mustard.
Well lets throw a pitty party then. I'll admit, I was no honors student. Its not that I was dumb as a rock, its that I didn't give a shit. My grades on the achievements tests were usually top of the class, but I was never one to study. One year when we got the results back, they were handed out in envelopes, I glanced at mine, then stuck it in a book. The girl who would be our validictorian walked in, marched over to my desk, announced how great hers were to the class, then snatched my envelope, opened it and read my report. her marks were good, 95th percentile or there abouts. Mine were mostly 99th percentile. I didn't care other then the joy of seeing her face skew up in anger.
The awards, the mark of distinction is what prompts some students to work hard. Sure, some o them missed the mark, but it was the carrot of that award that made them try for it. depriving them of motivation is asking then to fail.
Frankly, every awards ceremony needs a rock award. The kid who anchored the class by being as smart as a rock. We had it in OCS. it motivated people.

No comments: