Sunday, August 23, 2009

Comparing Apples to Oranges

I've been off the net for several days. Last Wednesday I was in a minor traffic accident. A young driver made a left turn without looking and ran into the side of my vehicle. Though damage from the collision was minor, I swerved to avoid a head on collision and jumped a curb and storm drain system. I was buckled in luckily, but the forces at play threw me about and I tore muscles in my shoulder. trying to run a mouse has been hell the last several days and so I gave up on it.
The other driver was uninsured. His tags were expired, and this was not his first issue with those problems. For those wondering, he is not an illegal alien.
That time got me to thinking about the insurance debate and how auto accidents play into that issue. Auto insurance is mandatory in Kansas, and in most of the United States. Some argue that health insurance should be the same way. lets not compare apples to oranges here. There are big differences.
First, most auto insurance is not there to cover you. Many liability policies offer nothing what so ever to repair replace or in any way monetize your vehicle. All the basic policies cover is the damage you cause to others or their property. A similarly modeled health policy would cover infectious diseases YOU spread. if you are the sort of person who keeps the fly zipped, and stays home when you have the flu, you would not need this policy, would you?
Second, most policies cover your injuries regardless of what type coverage you have. All my doctor bills are covered by my insurance even though I only keep liability on my vehicles. Health insurance would be unnecessary here unless the costs ran into the millions of dollars, or about what a loaf of bread will cost by the time Obama is through with our economy.
Third, people who are wealthy can self insure with out penalty. Under Obambi care, if you elected to self insure, you would be fined a substantial chuck of change.
The government is not offering auto insurance to anyone. There is no provision for a government sponsored policy for those who cannot afford car insurance. All government offers them is the bus. unfortunately for us working folk, that is subsidized by tax dollars rather then by fares.
Last note, when my adjuster called on the day following the crash, she asked how I was doing. My stock answer when I'm feeling like shit is, "well, I'm still alive."
Her reply was, "that's too bad, I'm really sorry to hear that."
Ye gads woman! you sound like my ex wife!

No comments: